Saturday, April 2, 2011


Lets talk about footwear.
People come to our farm wearing funny things on their feet all the time.
A few days ago I saw a volunteer wearing shape ups. In case you live under a rock or something, shape ups are the most absurd thing to happen to footwear ever. They have a big bouncy bump in the mid-sole. According to the commercials this big bouncy bump helps eliminate big bouncy butts. Its supposed to keep you off balance so you have to flex your butt so you don’t fall over. The general public is already not good at walking. Add in farm terrain and shape ups and someone is going to fall down and get a trowel shaped bruise on their hip. Also, they look dumb and I may or may not laugh at you inside of my head when I see you wearing them.
My coworker recently got some vibrams (the shoes with the individual toes). He doesn’t use them for farming right now, just for normal life. Another coworker’s kids saw him in his new shoes and realized that his toes were now capable of being attacked. So, don’t wear vibrams around violent children.
Not long ago a group of frat brothers showed up to volunteer and they were all wearing fancy sneakers. They were hesitant about going into the field because it was muddy. If you know that its rained recently, and you know that a farm is made out of dirt, and you know that dirt and water make mud, and you don’t want to get mud on your fancy sneakers…
Also, one time a person dropped a pair of felcos on their foot and got cut. They were probably wearing sandals.
Here is a short list of acceptable farm footwear:
work boots, rubber boots, cowboy boots, hiking boots, worn out sneakers, trail running shoes
Exercise your common sense.

1 comment:

  1. When I wear my vibrams I withhold my right to exercise my common sense in favor of exercising my toes.

    ReplyDelete